Ghostwriters and those lazy persons they help

There's no doubt that the book industry has became more and more enthusiastic about money, which not essentially helps readers but demonstrates how much something such as good as a book turns out into a media thing. I'm not against people do it all, I mean, if someone can dance, acting, sing and write, why that could be wrong? But I'm against ruining things we love and that are the case of Ghostwriters!

Lately, lot of celebrities have made deals for book contracts for millions of dollars, like if that could make a book good. Of course, they can sale lot of copy because the fame the artist already have, but that doesn't guarantee that the story, the writing style and the characters worth as much as other well established and true authors does. But the fact is that this is a non editorial problem as much as they sele books and gains millions in the process.


Ghostwriters (also known as Literature Negros) are people who work into the make of the book as anonymous form. Some only help with editing or final scripting, others with research (especially nonfiction), but others (mostly) write the book cloning the style of another author or based solely in the idea of another person. Those are use by famous people (politicians, celebrities, pubic personalities) that doesn't have the time of sitting in front a computer and write "their" story or don't know how to structure it.

In 2011 a Ghostwriter explain the perks of the job:
  • $20,000 for a 60,000-word health book
  • $15,000 for a 40,000-word business book
  • $12,000 for a 55,000-word memoir needing reworking
  • $25,000 for an 80,000-word nutrition/fitness book that had a basic manuscript

I think that's lot of money. Or maybe in my economy it is. 


I really don't like ghostwriters because I can't understand why someone would take credit for something he didn't. I think that it doesn't matter if it was he idea, if that was the case then make it co-writer credits as other author does (like Kami Garcia and Margaret Sthol, with Beautiful Creatures series). For example, I always have stories circulating on my mind but, as I can write a movie script, I can't write a book, but I wouldn't take a ghostwriter to create something for me and take it as mine. I think that's so wrong.

Also, I can't understand how much money could cost let go something they create. I think it's like creativity prostitution. And other times it happened to be an unfair situation for the credit author. Like what happened with J. L. James and her series Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle

In that case, J. L. Smith signed a contract with Alloy Entertainment as "work for hire" which give the editorial all the right of her work. After she write the last book of The Returns Trilogy of The Vampire Diaries in 2011, The Returns: Midnight, she send the new plot but was rejected and then replaced with a ghostwriter losing her rights. That also was made for her The Secret Circle series, whichwas replaced by the ghostwriter, Aubrey Clark.


Right now the internet is a boom, which could help to establish people who, the other way, couldn't be known at all. Those young celebrities of the new era gain lot of followers/fan through their Social Medias. All of this which makes them gold eggs for the editorials if they want to "write books". 

This is the case of the Jenner Sisters, which "write" a dystopian book about two girls who fight against the world, Rebels: City of Indras. It was critiqued for been ghostwrite by Maya Sloan, and actually it received bad reviews, but despite of that it's on speaking for been optioned for a movie. WHAT?

Rebels City of Indra.png

Other case is the Youtube celebrity, Zoe Sugg, who writes Girl Online, a YA novel about a sixteen blogger girl and what happened when her blog goes viral. The fact that she has millions of suscripters on YouTube makes it a safe bet. Though, that doesn't mean that we could compare her with J. K. Rowling and Harry Potter, which books are like classics right now and when she wasn't even famous when Harry Potter and the Philosophy Stone was release. Penguin state that Zoe was helped by a proffesional editorial team (aka Ghostwriter), what it is a total flat because I thought we finally could have a real blogger writing a book. She was help by the YA novelist, Siobhan Corham.

Cover for the first edition of Girl Online, by Zoe Sugg.

Then, I ask myself why they do that if they know their writer career would be destroyed after the true comes out. Because it always comes out. 

My opinion in all of this (like I haven't say it yet, right?) is that I don't like ghostwriters. I think they make this industry full on lazy persons and we don't need that kind of people even in the world. So, why do it? Well, editorials only care about the money.


What about you? Do you think Ghostwriters don't need to exist? or for the contray, you think they could improve the book industry as they improve celebrities's books?

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello!

Thanks for passing by and read my blog. My blog feed with comments, so if you caring anough to leave some, I will be really happy.

Thanks for share the love.

Back
to top