#BookReview: The Prophecy of Shadow by Michelle Madow


27779802The Prophecy of Shadows by Michelle Madow
Series: The Elementals
Genre: Young Adult / Paranormal / Mythology / Magic
Publication: January 26th 2016 by Dreamscape Publishing

Rating: 4 HEARTS

ISBN13: 9780692573662
Synopsis:

Witches are real. They're descendants of the Greek gods.

Nicole Cassidy is a witch descended from the Greek gods... but she doesn't know it until she moves to a new town and discovers a dangerous world of magic and monsters that she never knew existed.

When the Olympian Comet shoots through the sky for the first time in three thousand years, Nicole and four others -- including mysterious bad-boy Blake -- are gifted with elemental powers. But the comet has another effect -- it opens the portal to another dimension that has imprisoned the Titans for centuries. After an ancient monster escapes, it's up to Nicole and the others to follow a cryptic prophecy in time to save the town... and possibly the world.


My Thoughts


I like history a lot and I love to learn everything that I can about past civilizations and what they did to mold the society the way it’s right now. One of the things I like the most about history is the time of Greek Mythology; that point when the gods “where” there between the mortals and how the old, intellectual Greece was learning everything fresh new. There’s always something dragging me to it and I have always found it magical and very interesting; because of that, I love to read books that feature Greek mythology in it.

The Prophecy of Shadow tells the story of Nicole, the new girl that arrived to a small town close to Salem in Massachusetts. She really doesn’t want to be part of the folklore or anything relate to the witches history of the place but she can’t avoid the fact that since the first day of school, her teacher and homeroom mates seems to be obsessed that they been witches and she’s one too. Nicole doesn’t believe anything of that but after few weird energy episodes in the classroom and while observing the arrived of the Olympian Comet, she’s willing to give it a go. Now, with her new friend Kate and Chris, her archenemy Danielle and the hottest guy of the school, Blake, Nicole has to face a quest that would change her life forever.

I really like this book; I felt so much connected with it because I felt that I was the one who actually wrote the book, I don’t know how to explain it but, it was like I was creating the story, even when I know full well that I did nothing of that sort and that Michelle Madow did it all. It wasn’t like it was predictable, it was more like, what I thought it could work for the story, it was there. I never have felt like it before, but I really enjoy the feeling. I think that the story was very intriguing and page turner, I really wanted to know how everything was going to end, but there’s something that bothers me.

I would get there but first: The first thing I noticed while opened the book was the fact that it resemblances me to The Secret Circle by J. L. Smith and Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan. I know that the last one seems more like it thanks to the fact that both have Greek mythology theme but, I really couldn’t left behind the feeling that that was exactly the case. However, that did nothing to ruin the book, for the contrary, I really think that, if it was the intention, it was a really good combination to make. Of course, this is all about the premise of the story but the originality of it development is quite as well, because I enjoy very much this new way of Madow to present the magical thing and how the characters change from the fist page to the last.

Speaking about the character, I really like how they all were. Starting with Nicole and the way she embraces all the crazy stuff she was living, her destiny and all the new challenges, of course, you may think that she did it too soon but, right now after have read so much, I’m kind of tired of the girls who make big deal about what they have to face, and I’m just like “shut up and do it”. I also like the fact that we only have to deal with the five principal characters and one or two more secondary, that there are not lots more of people to complicate things, everything was simple.

Now, what I don’t like and why I think it deserves 4 hearts of rating is because it was too short, everything rushed. For example, Nicole called everyone in the circle as her friends with just a week of knowing them, and she was so much in love of Blake since she saw him for the first time. I really thought that they would share a prophecy together (just a The Secret Circle) to justify the insta love because otherwise it doesn’t make sense to me. 

However what I think about the rushed of the book, I think it was an entertaining, fun and interesting read. It does have the best of the Greek mythology as well as a wonderful new way to present a mental magic rather than physical and all of it about colors. It really worth to give it a try.

About The Author


She grew up in Baltimore, and now lives in Boca Raton, Florida, where she writes books for young adults. Some of her favorite things are: reading, pizza, traveling, shopping, time travel, Broadway musicals, and spending time with friends and family. Michelle went on a cross-country road trip from Florida to California and back to promote her books and to encourage high school students to embrace reading and writing. Someday, she hopes to travel the world for a year on a cruise ship.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello!

Thanks for passing by and read my blog. My blog feed with comments, so if you caring anough to leave some, I will be really happy.

Thanks for share the love.

Back
to top