The Bookworm's Kitchen: Lemon Pie from Sexiest Men Alive



While reading Sexiest Men Alive by M. Clark, I wanted to eat the most delicious Lemon Pie of all, because it's my favorite dessert ever. I tasted it for the first time when I was 16 years all, thanks to a high school friend who made it when I visited at her home. It was the most delicious thing I ever tasted and I was hooked ever since, even so, that the first two years of college I ate Lemon Pie almost each day, and I was so happy for it.

So, you can only imagine my excitement while reading this book, I found out that Nate’s favorite dessert is also Lemon Pie. You know The Bookworm’s Kitchen feature is about sharing the recipes of the dishes that are really important into the reading, and just what happened with You’re The One That I Want, that one dish had the weight of all the novel, happened in this one too. Besides be the favorite dessert of Nate, is also a meaning of love, because is Olivia’s mom who made the dish (who love Nate like her own son) and the one who lure him to visit her house and see Olivia in a tender position thanks to the pie.

Just as this book is a bittersweet rollercoaster of emotions, is also the lemon pie. Olivia and Nate was just the perfect couple, the love each other but the desire to get far and be successful made them fall apart, now they are reunited once more and while old feelings threaten to resurface, they would do everything to be happy again, either together or apart. That made me think about the lovely lemon pie with it acid lemon flavor that combine with the sweet cream cheese and crust to make something spectacular into our mouths (you know when I love something because I get all poetic about it). Now here’s the recipe and you can check the book review here.



Crust
  • 160gr of flour
  • 100gr of butter without salt
  • 50gr of sugar
  • 1 egg
Filling
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
Whipped Cream
  • 3 egg whites
  • 6 cups sugar
  • 1 pinch of salt

Method

To bake the crust, we need to mix by hands the flour and the butter (cut it in cubs and clod), until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and keep mixing with your hands, then add the egg. When everything is well mixed, add some water and knead until everything is integrated. Evolve the mass with film paper and take to the refrigerator for 1 hour. Take the mold and cover with all the mass leaving very thin. Finally, take the oven at 180 °C for 20 minutes. Leave it cool.

If you don't want to do this, you can always use a premade graham crust and omit the method above.

To made the filling, mix together the cream cheese, milk and lemon juice. Mix well and spread in the crust. Chill until set, at least 2 hours.

In a bowl add the egg whites and stir. At start, add salt and continue beating. Once it begin to form adds half of the sugar, continue beating until blended, and then add the rest. You know it's ready when you place the beater in the center, take it out with meringue and should form a pronounced peak that bends at the top. Add the whipped cream to the rest of the dessert, leave it cool until set. Serve and enjoy.

Lemon Pie photo taken from Allrecipes.com

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello!

Thanks for passing by and read my blog. My blog feed with comments, so if you caring anough to leave some, I will be really happy.

Thanks for share the love.

Back
to top