#BookReview: Flunked & Charmed by Jen Calonita



Purchase: Amazon // B&N // Book Depository

Synopsis
Would you send a villain to do a hero's job? An exciting new twisted fairy tale series from award-winning author Jen Calonita.

Full of regret, Cinderella's wicked stepmother, Flora, has founded the Fairy Tale Reform School with the mission of turning the wicked and criminally mischievous into upstanding members of Enchantasia.

Impish, sassy 12-year-old Gilly has a history of petty theft and she's not too sorry about it. When she lifts a hair clip, she gets tossed in reform school-for at least three months. But when she meets fellow students Jax and Kayla, she learns there's more to this school than its sweet mission. There's a battle brewing and she starts to wonder: can a villain really change?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26252859-the-hidden-oracle?ac=1&from_search=true

My Thoughts

I think that the best of this book was the twist that it presents. Definitely, you don’t expect most of the things that it was describe there and you really enjoy the light mood of the story. By other hand, my problem with this one (and it’s very much personal) was the fact that I have to shut out my own voice and remember that this is a middle grade book, that even when I wanted that things were more developed that couldn’t happen. However, I do feel that the book could have give a little bit more, and be more tangled, more deceiving, bring more difficult to figuring out what was happening. I do believe that it’s very entertaining but it also needed to be more twisted with more info.


Purchase: Amazon // B&N // Book Depository

Synopsis
Sometimes it's good to be bad...

Charmed is the exciting sequel to the wildly popular Flunked -- second in the brand new Fairy Tale Reform School series where the teachers are (former) villains. "Charming fairy-tale fun." --Sarah Mlynowski, author of the New York Times bestselling Whatever After series.

It takes a (mostly) reformed thief to catch a spy. Which is why Gilly Cobbler, Enchantasia's most notorious pickpocket, volunteers to stay locked up at Fairy Tale Reform School...indefinitely. Gilly and her friends may have defeated the Evil Queen and become reluctant heroes, but the battle for Enchantasia has just begun.

Alva, aka The Wicked One who cursed Sleeping Beauty, has declared war on the Princesses, and she wants the students of Fairy Tale Reform School to join her. As her criminal classmates give in to temptation, Gilly goes undercover as a Royal Lady in Waiting (don't laugh) to unmask a spy...before the mole can hand Alva the keys to the kingdom.

Her parents think Gilly the Hero is completely reformed, but sometimes you have to get your hands dirty. Sometimes it's good to be bad...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26252859-the-hidden-oracle?ac=1&from_search=true

My Thoughts

This book was the one who drag me to read this series but because I found out it was part of a series, I hold back and started with the first. What I like the most in this book was the message of the novel, telling us that (family and friendship) relationships are very important and that we have to fight for them. This is actually, my favorite of the series so far, and I like how much the characters developed while keeping the same magic of the previous book and be real. The plot was very well presented and I like how the story line was unfolding, full of action and for the contrary of Flunked, it didn’t hold back. I truly recommend this book, and while I like this the most, you need to read the previous one otherwise, you’ll be completely lost.


About The Author
Jen CalonitaI'm Jen Calonita, a YA author who loves what I do because it lets me connect with all of you (and no, I wasn't intending for that to rhyme!).

I've been writing ever since I can remember, but it was fourth grade when I put my "three wishes" for a genie down on paper. They were:


#1. Buy all the Cabbage Patch Kids in the world and give them away for free (because apparently that was how I rolled).


#2. I wanted a mansion, limo, lake house, pool and speed boat (still sounds quite nice).


#3. I wanted to be an author for young readers, which I am!


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello!

Thanks for passing by and read my blog. My blog feed with comments, so if you caring anough to leave some, I will be really happy.

Thanks for share the love.

Back
to top