#BookReview: Harry Potter and The Cursed Child by . K. Rowling, Jack Thorne & John Tiffany

Purchased: Amazon // B&N // Book Depository

Synopsis:

The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places. 


My Thoughts

I knew that I was going to read this book, It was really difficult to me to not to, I mean is Harry Potter after all, a canon, a story of J. K. Rowling. The things is that I wasn’t very excited to read it, I know that it was part of the world that I love so much but, it was also kind of turn off that it wasn’t J. K. Rowling who wrote it all, even when it was her idea. Though, I was excited that it was made into a play because I’m very fond to theaters, but of course, I couldn’t fandom how would it works after all the amazing books and movies that were made before.

I know that I needed to have lot of things into consideration while reading the book to really enjoy it: It was not wrote entirely by Rowling, it was a script (and because I’ve written plenty of scripts before, I know that they’re not the same as a proper novel), it sets 19 years after the end of the 7th book, and Harry Potter is adult. Taking all of this into consideration and then, I was able to lost myself into The Wizard World one more time and, when I came out, I have mixed feelings.

I think it was a good story, very nostalgic and I’ll say that it does have the same magic as the previous books. I like the new characters Albus, Scorpius and Delphina; they were really great while carrying the weight of the story and I’m glad how this new generation of wizards is as strong as the previous. This script made me laugh, cry and feel great about myself, while remembering me why I love HP and that was because I release that this installment won’t ever be as awesome as the previous series.

I’m not saying that this was awful but it’s not as good, and there are three things that I don’t like about it: a) Harry, Hermione and Ron lost themselves. I know that they’re now all grew up, that they have to mature and it’s quite possible that they won’t be the same as 19 years before but I also felt that they lost themselves, they’re not the same characters I knew and I don’t like it at all. I know that the trio have flaws but they also have others great things that made them likeable, but Harry were too stubborn, Hermione too bitter, and Ron too unconcern.

b) The whole situation with Albus and Harry. I know that not all the characters that we love could be great parents; I’m torn between this situation, because I know that Harry didn’t have a parental figure, but for that exact reason, I would believed that he would make his best to be the best father for his kids. And to be honest that was how it was insinuated at the end of the Deathly Hallows. That they share a really good relationship, that they were closer than the rest of the family and that they were alike.

c) It all seems like a fanfic. I’m not against fan fictions, for the contrary, I do admired and respect those who write them because I’m not able to do so, but I’m the kind of reader that don’t read them because I just like the author’s version and stick to it. So, this whole play has a very bizarre twist that I’m SURE was out there in some fanfic, and it’s not that it was a bad thing but it something that I wouldn’t expect in the world of HP for so many reason. Of course, I would like something original but this play seems like an unrevised first draft of a book without much of thought in there.

Overall, the fact that Harry is an adult doesn't bother me as I thought it would be, because the new generation was good enough to keep the childish magic of it. But I also think that I truly need to see the actual play because the script doesn't inject much feelings, which is something that always characterized Rowling writing and engage us to her books. I need to see how the actors take their rols and make them credible to us; of course this would be impossible since a trip to London is too expensive for me, so I'll kind of stick to the script.

I know that plenty of people like this "book" very much, and I don’t judge them, so I think that you have to read it for yourself to really make a real opinion about this script. But just take in consideration that you need to make it for yourself and not because you’re pressed to or go into it with those things that have been circulating on the Internet. I think that as a fan with have to maybe give it a try but remembering that Rowling knows what she’s doing and that at the end of the day, this is her story and we, even as potterhard as we are, don’t have a say in it.

I think that before embark into this story you need to read this post because we NEVER have to be influence by others opinion but for our own. That’s what makes us free, and that’s one of the many lessons J. K. Rowling teachs us with her amazing work.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello!

Thanks for passing by and read my blog. My blog feed with comments, so if you caring anough to leave some, I will be really happy.

Thanks for share the love.

Back
to top