#BookReview: The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins

Purchase: Amazon / B&N / Book Depository

Synopsis
The debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

EVERY DAY THE SAME

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?



My Thoughts

People always say good things about this book and how awesome it is; I certainly was so anxious to pick it up before watching the movie, and even so, when I found out a Venezuelan actor was part of the project. Now, that I finally read it, I know all the fuss about it, but It still left me with unresolved issues and mixed feelings.

The Good


The story per se is quite awesome. I really enjoy the whole thing, the unfolding and the way that all the puzzles were put together to create this complex mix of deceiveness. I like that every character was suspicious, even Rachel, she became the first character we actually are suspicious about and after her, the rest on the gang. Other thing that I like very much is the way the chapters are presented, like a sort of diary entries where we find out what each character’s POV has to give to the story. 

The So-So


The story was too large for me and sometimes I think that there were unnecessary scenes that don’t have a true weight into the unfolding of the book. That made it a little boring at some points where I needed to push myself to keep going. However, the fact that I also need to know who the killer was won over how boring some parts might get. 

There’s also another thing that gave me mixed feelings, and that’s the fact that I truly hate all the characters; that’s something really interesting because I don’t necessary believe it’s a bad thing because I’m sure that what this book is all about is how unstable the human mind, body and soul can be and how we are our own enemies. But at the same time, is quite shocking to me that I don’t have at least one slightly fondness for one character. They’re all so bad in so many ways.

The Bad


I hate Rachel, like I just said, each character is horrible in their own way, but for me, Rachel is the worst. The fact that she’s the main characters makes it so annoying, because it’s like we want to like her but just as the book progress she become more a more irritating with each chapter. I can’t say more because I’ll probably give something away, but I truly, deeply hater her.

But what I don’t like the most about this book is how women were portrayed. I guess this all gets back to the “unstable human” part, so it’s not surprising that the women in this novel were portrayer like failures, disastrous and fragile chicks with a weakness for a man. Not really a good example for girls out there.

Overall, I have to admit that using a train as an excuse for a plot is very creative, and make it a thriller is even better. I truly enjoy the ride on this novel, but I still have mixed feeling mostly thanks to the characters, though I also understand how their personalities need to be that way. By other hand, I definitely need to watch the movie because I’m so curious about how the actors will bring alive the worst of the humans just like this book did.


About the Author
Paula-Hawkins-(c)-Kate-NeilPaula Hawkins worked as a journalist for fifteen years before turning her hand to fiction.
Born and brought up in Zimbabwe, Paula moved to London in 1989 and has lived there ever since. The Girl on the Train is her first thriller.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello!

Thanks for passing by and read my blog. My blog feed with comments, so if you caring anough to leave some, I will be really happy.

Thanks for share the love.

Back
to top