#BookReview: See How They Run (Embassy Row #2) by Ally Carter

Purchase: Amazon / B&N / Book Depository

Synopsis
Inside every secret, there's a world of trouble. Get ready for the second book in this new series of global proportions--from master of intrigue, New York Times bestselling author Ally Carter.

Grace's past has come back to hunt her . . . and if she doesn't stop it, Grace isn't the only one who will get hurt. Because on Embassy Row, the countries of the world stand like dominoes, and one wrong move can make them all fall down.

The twists get twistier and the turns get even more shocking in the second thrilling installment of Embassy Row

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13416638-the-hobbit

My Thoughts

I forget how much I love Ally Carter’s books; she’s awesome to catch the best angles of a teenage thriller. She knows how to engage us to read about spies, thief and now, about a secret society surrounding the diplomatic country of Adria. This new series started (at least for me) little low, ‘cause when I didn’t dislike All Fall Down (book 1), it also didn’t blow me away, but I’m happy to say that See How They Run is an absolutely improvement from the last.

In See How They Run, Grace has to face a new challenge while trying to uncover the true behind the intent of murder of her mother three years ago. She still fights against the guilt of what she did but now her brother Jamie arrives in Adria making it more difficult to her to move on because he’s a reminder of the horrible mistake she made. She also faces her new granted position inside the secret Society as a matter of birthright, while trying to protect Alexei against all the deceits and lies within Embassy Row. Everything to make a girl go crazy.

In the last book I wasn’t totally fond to Grace and I was truly bothered by how she was portrayed as a crazy girl, but thanks to this one, I now feel more for her and I can finally understand her point of view. She was able to let go part of her demons and commit to something much important of how to protect those she loves; for me, it was really great to see her taking responsibilities and carry them into something much more in a good way. She now embraces her craziness but try that that doesn’t interference with her purpose of justice.

The dynamic between Alexei and Jamie was interesting to see since they have been friend for a long time but inserting Grace as a young woman might shake that relationship. Also, I’m very happy how Ally handle the romance because this book is more about the situations around Embassy Row that the life of our characters; so the fact the somehow Grace is “clueless” about a guy’s feeling for her makes it more appealing and relating to young readers because they not always know if a guy likes them in some cases since a) not everything is about love and b) there are more precious things like, for example, save the world.

The mystery is what move this book all along, there’s not much action in it but the thriller part is very present through the whole novel that kept me very engage to it; I was yearning to know who was behind of it all and the rhythm of the read, that wasn’t too slow or too fast, making it more interesting, but here’s where the tricky part begins. I love the mystery part but it also could become annoying, I mean, in Gallagher Girls we knew the mystery very early and the rest of the series worked around it, in Heist Society each book is a new challenge, but in here, we already have two books and we only know pieces of it. Of course, those were really shocking discoveries but I still believe that Ally need to manage the unfolding of the story very carefully and trying to no discourage us with not knowing book after book after book.

Overall, this is my favorite book of this series so far, and makes me believe in Ally once more after the blow down with AFD. Everything was perfect from the characters to the developing of the plot, and I really enjoy adding new people and new dynamics to those we already know. I can’t wait for the upcoming Take the Key and Lock Her Up, which release on December.

On a side note (believing that it actually doesn’t concern the review): This book is perfect to make prediction about who the murders is (or are), so I think that those who are behind all of it are actually the Royal Family of Adria, and I especially suspicious of the Princess Ana. I won’t say more but when we finally get to know it all, the first thing I’ll share would be why I believe this, just to make sure if I’m right or not.


About the Author
Ally Carter writes books about spies, thieves, and teenagers. She is the New York Times Best-selling author of the Gallagher Girls and Heist Society series. Her books have been published all over the world, in over twenty languages.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello!

Thanks for passing by and read my blog. My blog feed with comments, so if you caring anough to leave some, I will be really happy.

Thanks for share the love.

Back
to top